Thursday, May 16, 2013

"Shine Bright Like A Diamond" (or Don't)



The older I get, the more I worry.

When I was younger, I never gave a second thought to what color nail polish to wear.  I used to jazz my nails up with decals and I'm going to date myself here, but, I even remember the 14 carat gold fake fingernails.  I didn't say I ever wore one.  Just said I remember them.

Should there be any rules applied when it comes to which shades of polish to wear for work?  Obviously, if you're in the fashion industry or the music industry or arts and entertainment, even publishing, you have a lot more fashion freedom.  But law offices are supposed to be conservative.  Or are they?

I tend to opt for more subdued colors, light shades of pink, nude or maybe french tips.  Partly, it's due to the fact that the last time I painted my nails blue, my daughter told me I needed to "quit it."  The other reason I don't  wear dark shades, (can you say 'Linkin Park After Dark?') is that the dark colors tend to rub off on paper.  And I handle lots and lots of paper.  But I must admit I do love those dark colors.  Black is the new red when it comes to nails, you know.

I just tend get a little self-conscious when I hand one of my bosses a file and my hands are screaming, "look at me!"  

There must be a book out there somewhere on "appropriate nail polish for the law office."  I haven't run across it, but if you do, give me a shout.  Better yet - raise your hand.

Sincerely,

Unsure in San Francisco

No comments: