Thursday, May 30, 2013

Before You Say, "Yes," to that New Committee, Maybe Think Twice - the Job You Save May Be Your Own


Bake sale?  Count me in.  Book Club?  I’m there.  Memorial Day Celebration?  I’ll volunteer.  Welcoming Committee?  I love meeting new people.

Maybe not.

After much anguish and one too many committee meetings that seem to go on forever and accomplish nothing, my new motto is “Just Say No.”

The weather is getting hotter, tempers are getting shorter and it’s just not worth it.

Being a team player is great.  Being “sociable” with your co-workers, that’s cool too.

But sometimes, you just have to stop, focus, prioritize, do your work and go home.

Work should be pleasant because you’re with these folks for at least 7 or 8 hours a day.

However, maybe too much fun isn’t really fun at all.

For now, I’ll save my social activities for “after hours.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have worked more years that I can to remember. I've worked in many arenas - government, retail space management, social services, and last, but certainly not least -legal (large, medium, small). Unfortunately, there are far too many people who raise their hand to "look like a team player to the boss" when in fact, their real intent is to sow discord amongst co-workers and make himself or herself look like the good guy and throw the unsuspecting "I just want to have a nice team-building event" "hand raiser" under the bus. I now, come to work, do a swell job, get my check and boogie on home - in just that order. No more committees for me, either. Really sad for newbies in the industry who don't understand why I come to work and mind my own business and JUST SAY "NO" TO COMMITTEE, LUNCH OR HOLIDAY PARTY INVITES. Not a scrouge or anti-social - just cautious and wise.