Monday, April 11, 2011

One Lump or Two?




Raise your hand if your boss asks you to fetch coffee for him or her?

I happen to be "old school" so I don't have any problem getting a cup of coffee or lunch for my busy partner. Or my busy associate. Or another busy secretary for that matter.

However, on more than one recent occasion, other secretaries have commented on how they think it is completely inappropriate for a boss to expect a secretary to get coffee.

I know we've come a long way but unless it's illegal or immoral, I simply don't care. Plus, if my boss needs caffeine to keep turning out those magnificent briefs, then I'm here to help. I mean "support" means just that, right?

But, where do you draw the line? Some of you may be too young to remember Melanie Griffith in "Working Girl." You should rent it on DVD. I will never forget the scene of her pushing the dim sum cart down the hall. I admit I'm a sucker for a good pork bun.

What about "The Devil Wears Prada?" Now, that was no easy job for sure. But Anne Hathaway was an amazing assistant.

I think there's something to be said for being there to assist in whatever capacity is needed.

What are your thoughts? Do you do coffee? I'd love to hear from you.

2 comments:

Brooklyn said...

I, too, am "Old School" when it comes to "teamwork". However, it is all about building a working relationship. I have no problem, in fact, I'm delighted to get lunch, coffee, tea, or a snack, for a busy attorney, secretary, clerk or any other "team member". When I draw the line, is when it is an attorney who has an attitude of entitlement. I resent "personal errands" for attorneys who operate on a pecking order. However, I feel the same way about secretaries who refuse to be "team players" and will only have "team mentality" when he or she needs my help. As an attorney I used to work for would say "some people are only concerned when their ox is being gored." But, if we are working as a team and I'm treated with dignity and respect, your wish is my command.

Unknown said...

I retired earlier this year, but before then I never minded getting coffee or lunch for an attorney (or anyone else for that matter). I thought my job was to do whatever was necessary to make the attorney look good (in other words assist.

Of course I have also had many attorneys get lunch for me while I was busy getting out a court filing or urgent correspondence. As long as it's a two-way street, with equal respect, I don't think anyone should mind.