Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Administrative Professionals Day - Yay or Nay?




Tomorrow (April 27th) is Administrative Professionals Day (formerly known as Secretary's Day). I won't get into the long history of where it all started and how. Truth is, I don't know if I can be sure of which "urban legend" to believe. I still call myself a "secretary" although most of my co-workers prefer to call themselves "Assistants." Po-ta-toe, po-taw-to.

Over the years, it's been a day that has made me feel either a) really appreciated b) really unappreciated c) underappreciated or d) mad as hell.

It seems the people I've done the most for have acknowledged me the least. I know that the economy isn't what it used to be and most offices/firms have significantly scaled back their celebrations.

I don't know what my firm has planned but I'm fairly certain that if it involves free food and drinks, the attorneys will knock us poor staff out of the way to serve themselves first.

Anyway, Happy Administrative Professionals Day. I'm reminding myself to be thankful I have a job.

No comments: