Thursday, October 29, 2015

Book Review: "A Window Opens" by Elisabeth Egan


The first thing that caught my eye was the cover.  The title alone was my clue to the storyline.  "A Window Opens."  

The saying goes, "When One Door Closes, Another Opens."  But I've also heard, "When A Door Closes, A Window Opens."

I knew this would be a book about change.  So similar to my own life in many ways that it was hard for me to read in the beginning.

And now that I've finished the book, I'm not sure if the book has what I would call "a slow start," or if it made me think so much about my own life challenges, including dealing with a sick parent, a change in income and relationship circumstances that it was personal for me.

Then there's Alice's husband, Nicholas, who like many husbands/men we know is facing change in his own work and life.  

The three kids.  Well, they're doing exactly what they're supposed to be doing, growing, learning and looking for guidance.

It's also quite relatable for those of us who find ourselves to be among, how can I say, the "more experienced" people in the workforce.

One thing is certain, the author has shaped a character in Alice that is hard not to like.  She's funny, she's loyal and she works really hard.  Plus she loves, loves, loves her family.  

Last, but not least, there's the family's nanny, Jessie, who is a "superwoman" in her own right.

Can women have it all?  Maybe.  Maybe not.  Elisabeth Egan sheds the spotlight on what "having it all" really means.

*The publisher provided me with a free copy of this book for the purposes of preparing this review.  The opinions expressed are solely mine.


No comments: