Wednesday, July 4, 2012

"Binder Girl" - Could This Be You?




Talk about the ever-changing role of the legal secretary.

Did you ever make so many binders in your life? What's up with that.

In 1999, the "word on the street" was that in five years, the law office would be paperless. Would somebody mind telling my attorneys?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining - well, sort of. I like knowing the documents and the cases, but what happened to the days when binders and document management was part of the paralegal role? I guess clients don't want to be billed for such tasks these days.

So, add one more thing to my laundry list of things to do.

Yes, yes, yes, I'm very glad to have a job. And I do enjoy my work. Most of the time.

But binders make me paranoid. And what about when you have those tabs going the wrong way. That always gets my boss ticked off. Then next thing you know, there's your review with the word "BINDERS" written all over it.

And what about those binder covers? I mean, is there really a right or a wrong way? And don't you just hate the secretaries who swear that the attorneys like their covers the best? I mean, really - a cover? Isn't it what's inside that counts?

This binder world is constantly evolving and has morphed into a classification all its own.

Can't I just "take a letter?"

No comments: