Thursday, March 17, 2011

Should Co-Workers Be Facebook (TM) Friends?




You know, ever since Facebook opened its portals to the general public (as opposed to being for college kids only) many questions have come up as to not only what is proper Facebook etiquette, but what does it really mean to "friend" someone?

Clearly, we don't define our Facebook friends in the same way we do those people we would call when we get a flat or our boyfriends have dumped us or when we need someone in which to confide. And do we really want our colleagues to know that our cousin in Wichita is in need of prayer because their husband just ran off?

But, the water is becoming a little murky. Initially, I didn't think it was a good idea at all to make co-workers my Facebook friends. In fact, I'm not even sure I should be using Facebook at all. I mean, once it's posted, it's there - forever. Oh, sure you can delete it or deactivate your account, but somewhere in cyberspace whatever you've said gets "cached" and in employment terms the wrong thing in the "cache" could land you "cash-less."

Say, I wanted to say something snarly about my boss - not that I would ever even think anything bad about my boss - but just say I did. I was having a rough Monday, I wanted to vent and I posted something on my wall that was less than "positive?" I have coworkers who are my Facebook friends and they casually mention to another coworker the "funny" rant I posted this morning. And they tell a friend and then so on and so on and so on.

The rule of thumb that I've chosen to follow, for the time being, is that unless it's someone I would want to have dinner with after hours, I'm not friending them. Of course, by not accepting their "friend request" you're sort of putting yourself in a situation where they might be offended. But is it better for them to be offended now than you be fired later?

Just a little something to think about as we end up the week.

Oh, and if you don't accept my friend request, I won't be offended. I'll just cross you off my holiday card list.

:)

No comments: