Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Aging out of the Law Firm - Is there a place for older workers in the legal industry?


I found myself today googling  "the world's oldest legal secretary."

Don't laugh.  I'm serious.  I want to know what happens to senior secretaries.  I don't mean people who can't use the technology or who refuse to adapt to change and learn new skills.

In a world of 10.00 dollar avocado toast and 15.00 lattes being consumed by millennials as the "norm," what happens to the mature law firm support staff?

Do they eventually get "phased out," by way of reductions in force or having to jump through so many hoops they just voluntarily leave?

A friend of mine told me recently that her old boss asked her when she planned to retire.  When she told him that she didn't - he said "just let me know.  I'll find someone younger and cheaper."

Does younger and cheaper really work in this industry?  Younger to me means you're ambitious and looking to be paid fairly for your time and talent.  Cheaper to me means that you're hiring people who really aren't top notch.

You can't have it both ways.

Either you want someone who can do the job and do it well or  you want someone to give you a mediocre work product.

With clients demanding more and more for their legal buck these days, firms might want to consider being nicer to their mature staff.  They might be the ones who save the day.

2 comments:

Anaya said...

Very informative post! There is a lot of information here that can help any business get started with a successful social networking campaign. Real Estate Lawyers near me

shaan watson said...

Estate Planning Lawyer NYC I am impressed. I don't think Ive met anyone who knows as much about this subject as you do. You are truly well informed and very intelligent. You wrote something that people could understand and made the subject intriguing for everyone. Really, great blog you have got here.