Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Moving to a New Neighborhood (aka Cubicle) - Space Makeover - What's Appropriate/What's Not?



I've been sitting in my new 'hood (workspace) for three weeks now.  So far, I've decorated nothing.

I'm sort of afraid to over-personalize.  On the other hand, it feels like it's not really my place.

That said, how much is too much and how little is too little?

I thought about getting a new stapler.  I mean my red one has been to a couple of firms now and could probably be replaced.  I mean it works fine, but red is so 2010.  Gold staplers are really hot right now but my neighbor has one.  I can't just "steal her vibe."  Or, can I?

I have a poster from my last "work home" but it doesn't have a frame.  I could bring art from home, but I don't really have a "wall."

My chair is unique but worn.  Thinking maybe it's time to "retire" that.  And the tape on the arm doesn't exactly say "shabby chic."  More like, "it's over."

I decided not to bring my candy dish.  Mainly because candy is so "out."  Is tea better?

I could bring in a personal sized Keurig, except that's not really 'eco-friendly.'

Plants?  Real or artificial?

So, as I ponder and ponder and do nothing, I'm becoming increasingly frustrated and "out-decorated" by my colleagues.

Decisions.  Decisions.  What would Martha do?

2 comments:

Joni said...

I work at Big Law. The less personal stuff at your desk, the easier it will be to make a clean getaway if you have to. However, I have the following at my minimalist workstation: My personal (and fairly pricey) mechanical keyboard from Das Keyboard; My fat cat latte mug, a framed photo of my late husband, a red dish that holds my binder clips, another red dish that holds post-its, my red stapler and red tape dispenser, red ceramic cup holder. Did I mention I love red?

Dottie said...

I love your style! Just retired my red stapler for a silver one ;)