Thursday, November 14, 2013

Socializing at Work - Should You or Shouldn't You?



A few months ago I shut down my Facebook account.  I'm very happy that I did.  I read a study that said people who use Facebook are less happy than people who don't.  The reasoning was that often you like a person's post/picture and they don't like yours back.

If you're a person, who like me, is a "work in progress," especially when it comes to seeking approval/affirmation, then Facebook might not be the best social media outlet for you (or me).

Which brings me to today's post.  

I've always been a "social" person.  That is, I like having "friends" at work.  Or, at least people that I can talk to about current events, hairstyles, coffee shops and go out to lunch and coffee with once in a while. 

Okay, honestly, I like having friends at work.

But, lately, I've been thinking maybe not.  

There is this one woman, in particular, who never eats with anyone, she never comes into the lunchroom and she never makes friends in the office.  Oh, sure she communicates, as needed, to get the work done.  She's an extremely hard worker, very professional and polished.  The picture of what a professional secretary/assistant should look like.

I've always secretly admired the fact that she doesn't need interaction at work.  I'm sure it's saved her a lot of stress from workplace conflict, office politics, drama and office gossip.  

I once commented to her how much I admired the fact that she's able to operate effectively on her own. Her response was that it didn't come easy.  It requires hard work.  She said it took her a long time to finally get to where she is now.

Then this week, I read an article in the latest issue of a popular women's magazine which said people who socialize with their co-workers are happier.  

I guess the key is to find a good "middle road" and take it.

I'm looking.  If you can offer any suggestions, please let me know.  I could use all the help I can get.


No comments: