Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Taking Good Care of Your "Inner Self"




When I first heard the news about the White House stenographer who interrupted the congressional vote last week (after the 17 day shut-down) with a religious rant, I immediately thought, "It could happen to anyone."

Obviously, I don't know her so I can't say for sure she didn't plan her outburst, or that she's not part of some deeper conspiracy, but my best judgment, life and work experience tell me she was just plain stressed out.  Clearly, she experienced a break of some sort.

Stress manifests itself in many different ways.  By all accounts, she was a well-respected, professional, dependable, soft-spoken woman.  And, let's just say she was under the influence of religion, we all seek comfort in different things.  For some it's religion, for some it's alcohol and for some food.  

I think the lesson we can all take away from this is, yes, we need to work.  Yes, we are grateful to be gainfully employed.  However, if you don't pay attention to that inner voice when it says, "you need a rest," the results are most often not good.

I think, as women, and men, we tend to expect to be super-human in the workplace.  But, it's important to take time to "smell the roses," for lack of a better cliche.

Which brings me to the point - I need a vacation.

Here's wishing Ms. White House Stenographer a full and complete recovery.

Take your breaks - lest you break.  Pun fully intended.

No comments: