Tuesday, March 19, 2013

PURSE SNOBS


In a town full of purse snobs, what’s a girl to do?

I know that working in the big city has its pros and cons.  I love the energy, excitement and the fact that there’s always something going on in San Francisco.  It’s a “vibe” like no other.

I also appreciate working in a nice office with nice amenities and free gourmet coffee.  I also respect firms that have a “dress code.”  And I never (well, almost never) go to work looking like a slouch.

But this whole designer handbag thing has gotten completely out of hand (pun intended).  The other day I went into the shoe shop to get the handle fixed on my vintage designer purse.  Yes, I’m now at the age that I am the original owner of vintage clothing. 

I realize that a lot of younger women are probably still living at home or have very high incomes and can afford to drop a few stacks on a handbag.  Unfortunately, that’s not my situation.

However, the way these women were coming into the repair shop with this Prada and that Gucci and this Jimmy Choo and names I couldn’t even pronounce had my head spinning.  The first thought that came to mind is “these must be attorneys, because surely they can’t be secretaries!”

Confession.  I did happen to be carrying a Jessica Simpson purse which probably made me stick out like Minnie Pearl.  Actually, references like Minnie Pearl aren’t helping my age case much.  And the way they looked at little old me – if looks could kill!

 

Any-hoo, I left the shop feeling like the lowest of low.  In all fairness, the repairman was super nice and told me that he could fix my bag up so that it was presentable.  I waited until the shop had cleared and I told him that I didn’t envy him one bit.  Having to deal with all those “bag-tudes” all day could drive a person insane. 

He looked at me, smiled and said, ‘Ma’am, you have no idea.’

Whatever happened to working women who shopped at good old JC Penney?

No comments: