Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Book Review: "GODS OF MISCHIEF: My Undercover Vendetta to Take Down the Vagos Outlaw Motorcycle Gang " by GEORGE ROWE




Wow, what a ride! “Gods of Mischief – My Undercover Vendetta To Take Down The Vagos Outlaw Motorcycle Gang” by George Rowe is aptly titled and a hold-on, rumbling read.

George Rowe is a “drug-dealin, multiple-felon, racist a__hole,” who seeks a metamorphosis by becoming an informant for the ATF and working for a little payback to the 1%-ers, for a deed that so far, went unpunished.  

The term “Vendetta,” says it all, as Rowe’s efforts proved to be a prolonged and arduous journey to retaliate and gain vengeance against the very group he became a part of.  

The Vago MC of California is well known as a violent and prolific trader of vice and mayhem.  George lived first-hand the lifestyle of the gang before becoming a part of the Club.

The read is interesting and absorbing.  I felt the author was asking me to believe his “evolved” since of morality.  But, with the several anecdotal flashbacks he provides to purge the actions of his dark past, and his repeated declarations stating he’s a changed man, I still don’t know if I am all the way there by the end of the 324 pages.  

In the end, I would define this work as a confession but not a penance.  I feel he has come fairly clean but I don’t get a warm and fuzzy feeling that his previous propensities to violence and drinking have left him completely. 

In the end, it all about the book and what it does to/for the reader.  The book is good in the way it evokes emotional thought.  I kept wondering what I would do in similar scenarios and how I would handle some of the interpersonal relationships George came to endure.  

Answer is, I don’t know.  

I am not George, nor do I have a friend like George, nor have I had any interaction with 1%-ers…but now I have, thanks to this book!

(Reviewed by JRS)

"Gods of Mischief" by George Rowe - A Touchstone Book, a division of Simon and Schuster

No comments: